PDA

View Full Version : Any NBA Fans? A draft question for you.

mack
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
The NBA (National Basketball Association) has the college draft tomorrow, and the top 2 picks in what is said to be a very strong and deep pool of players are Greg Oden the center and Kevin Durant the forward. If you had first pick and were starting a new team who would you pick? Portland picks first and based on their needs they will probably pick Oden to play down low but I have a feeling Durant may end up being the better pick. What do you think? :smilies-33396:

Here's a sportswriter's guess on who goes where through round 1.

San Francisco Chronicle
A DAY FOR DEALING?
NBA draft: Greg Oden and Kevin Durant are the top 2 picks, but everything else is up in the air

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer- Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A side from Greg Oden and Kevin Durant being the first two picks in Thursday's NBA draft, there's little certain about who will go when at Madison Square Garden.

So many teams are looking to trade up -- and trade around their superstars -- that phones are guaranteed to be ringing right up until the clock runs out.

Why all the dialogue? This year's draft pool is one of the deepest and most intriguing in years with two apparent superstars, a foreign mystery in Yi Jianlian, and a host of recognizable college names.

Add possible trades for Kevin Garnett, Shawn Marion and Jermaine O'Neal, and we're anticipating a lot of draft-related movement -- and of course, that the Knicks will be booed by the home crowd for whomever they select.

1. Portland -- Greg Oden, Ohio State, C, 7-0, 257. Durant is tempting, for sure, but a franchise center is too hard to pass up.

2. Seattle -- Kevin Durant, Texas, F, 6-10, 215. Sonics have the ultimate no-lose position.

3. Atlanta -- Al Horford, Florida, F/C, 6-10, 246. Picking the coveted big man gives the Hawks flexibility, especially on the trade front.

4. Memphis -- Mike Conley, Ohio State, G, 6-1, 175. Grizz take a PG if they keep pick.

5. Boston -- Joakim Noah, Florida, F, 7-0, 223. Celtics keep Noah for themselves or draft Yi Jianlian/Corey Brewer for someone else.

6. Milwaukee -- Yi Jianlian, China, F, 7-0, 246. Yi's camp doesn't want him here, but Bucks are sold.

7. Minnesota -- Corey Brewer, Florida, G/F, 6-8, 185. Everything depends on what's next for Garnett.

8. Charlotte -- Brandan Wright, North Carolina, F, 6-10, 200. Bobcats always have the option of trading down for a proven player.

9. Chicago -- Spencer Hawes, Washington, C, 7-1, 244. Raw big man can develop into inside threat.

10. Sacramento -- Jeff Green, Georgetown, F, 6-10, 228. If he slips this far.

11. Atlanta -- Acie Law, Texas A&M, G, 6-4, 186. Fills their PG opening should Hawks keep pick.

12. Philadelphia -- Al Thornton, Florida State, F, 6-7, 221. The first of four picks the Sixers are trying to package and move up.

13. New Orleans -- Nick Young, USC, G/F, 6-7, 206. Swingman would provide huge scoring lift.

14. L.A. Clippers -- Javaris Crittenton, Georgia Tech, G, 6-5, 194. Clippers want Law.

15. Detroit -- Rodney Stuckey, Eastern Washington, G, 6-5, 207. Stuckey's stock said to be rising.

16. Washington -- Thaddeus Young, Georgia Tech, F, 6-8, 210. Wizards add another Antawn Jamison-like player.

17. New Jersey -- Josh McRoberts, Duke, F/C, 6-10, 230. Nets always need frontline reinforcements.

18. Warriors -- Jason Smith, Colorado State, F/C, 7-0, 233. Will they be among the movers? Or do they go with big man who fits their style?

19. L.A. Lakers -- Julian Wright, Kansas, F, 6-9, 211. Free-falling after rough workout in Milwaukee.

20. Miami -- Daequan Cook, Ohio State, G, 6-6, 203. Buckeyes freshman can learn from Dwyane Wade.

21. Philadelphia -- Rudy Fernandez, Spain, G, 6-6, 172. Sixers can leave him in Europe.

22. Charlotte -- Morris Almond, Rice, G/F, 6-6, 215. High scorer could be a first-round sleeper.

23. New York -- Sean Williams, Boston College, C, 6-10, 230. Because we love to see the Knicks do questionable things.

24. Phoenix -- Petteri Koponen, Finland, G, 6-4, 194. Suns could use a backup for Steve Nash.

25. Utah -- Nick Fazekas, Nevada, F/C, 6-11, 225. Jazz can do wonders with good-shooting big men.

26. Houston -- Gabe Pruitt, USC, G, 6-4, 170. On the rise?

27. Detroit -- Tiago Splitter, Brazil, F/C, 7-0, 240. Big man might be setting a record for number of times through a draft process.

28. San Antonio -- Zabian Dowdell, Virginia Tech, G, 6-3, 191. Knows how to run a team.

29. Phoenix -- Marco Belinelli, Italy, G, 6-6, 200. Another international player for the Suns.

30. Philadelphia -- Glen Davis, LSU, C, 6-9, 290. Just to sneak Big Baby into the first round.

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

nosehair
06-27-2007, 11:30 PM
mack....I like that big kid from Ohio State to go #1 and then the kid from Texas...:fuckutoomack:

irishmic
06-28-2007, 05:24 AM
ESPN states Blazers contacted Oden and confirmed he will be their selection at #1, He would be my choice also, should have been for my favorite team:Boston CELTICS, they have been screwed over since the death of Len Bias. Hoping the CELTICS are able to select YI from China, (maybe see some more Asian women in the stands!

BigBadSi
06-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I like NBa but i dont know about draft players

ChokdeeBoB
06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I would take Durrant could be the next MJ

mack
06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking too Chokdee. But if I was a GM with my luck I'd take Durant, then Oden would turn into Bill Russell and Durant would blow out his knee in an exhibition game.