PDA

View Full Version : Thaksin to buy Man City?

gonzo
04-29-2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=451402&in_page_id=1779

Sam Allardyce's prospects of becoming Manchester City’s next manager have been thrown into doubt because a former Prime Minister of Thailand has emerged as the front-runner to take over the club.

Thaksin Shinawatra, who failed in attempts to buy into Liverpool, is preparing to make a preliminary offer to the City board as early as this week in direct rivalry to the £90 million deal fronted by former player Ray Ranson. Allardyce, who has three years left on his contract at Bolton, is believed to have been told that the job is his if Ranson’s bid succeeds.

But it now appears he may have to convince Shinawatra that he is the man to lead a new regime.

Allardyce did not attend the post-match Press conference following Bolton’s 2-2 draw at Chelsea yesterday. His assistant, Sammy Lee, said: ‘Sam’s not well. He didn’t travel with the team.’

Of reports that Allardyce had already quit Bolton, Lee said: ‘It is only speculation. We have a great bunch of players and the speculation won’t affect them. We’re desperate to make the UEFA Cup place. We just wanted that point today.’

Shinawatra’s proposals are understood to trump the money on the table from Ranson and funds have already been lodged with an investment bank. If the City board look at Shinawatra’s plans and believe he is a credible investor, they will allow him and his bank to conduct due diligence on the club’s books with a view to making a formal offer to shareholders.

While City manager Stuart Pearce will not be impressed by the intrigue behind the scenes, he has long been thought likely to leave the club this summer and become full-time coach of England’s Under-21 team. Pearce and the City board rowed about him combining his job at the club with the part-time role, and the FA’s determination to make it a full-time post offers a convenient solution.

For City chairman John Wardle and his fellow directors, the bigger challenge has been to find an investor to transform the club, about £50m in debt, from relegationthreatened also-rans into contenders.

The Ranson proposal is not popular with most of the board. There are worries that his backers, Sisu Capital Private Equity Fund, would be more interested in a quick profit than City’s long-term development.

old crust
04-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Sam has resigned this afternoon. Always on the cards as he can manage a bigger club than Bolton. Their crowds are piss poor compared with what the team has achieved being in the top ten of the Premiership.

penetrator
04-29-2007, 04:23 PM
That's right fucking handy Big Sam pissing off as they're at Upton Park next.

Bilbobaggins
04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Hmmmmmm I'm a City fan, but not sure about Thaksins motives for buying the club, but having read an article in todays NotW it may be a better bet that Ransons bid which will allegedly put the club further into debt (£30m at this time)
I think Allardyce would be a good acquisition for us, as he has the knack of getting under-performing players to up their game, and there are plenty of those at City at this point in time.
He also seems to spot bargains galore, Stelios, Gary Speed, Campo, and would possibly entice the likes of Nolan (under-rated in my opinion) to City as well.
Time will tell but this could be a big few months in Citys long and chequered history.

Baggins...:cheers:

BigBadSi
05-01-2007, 04:31 PM
100m for Man City apparently

gonzo
05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
100m for Man City apparentlyHow much for the team though? :goof:

ferocious
05-01-2007, 04:59 PM
joey barton has been suspended for the rest of the season for scrapping in training today

Bilbobaggins
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
How much for the team though? :goof:

They way they are playing at the moment?
Probably get change out of 2 baht.
Bartons become a big headed twat lately, let him go. Having said that Dabo is so poor I wanted to punch his lights out a couple of times and to think he turned down a 6 year contract offer at Lazio to join us.
Apparently Thaksin has said £50m will be available in the summer for transfers if he takes over.
I'm betting Pearce won't be the one to spend it.

Got a horrible feeling about Saturdays game, I reckon we'll be lucky to keep it below 5 :crybaby:

Baggins...:wink3:

ROLAND
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
joey barton has been suspended for the rest of the season for scrapping in training today

Thats a surprise

BigBadSi
05-01-2007, 06:36 PM
They way they are playing at the moment?
Probably get change out of 2 baht.
Bartons become a big headed twat lately, let him go. Having said that Dabo is so poor I wanted to punch his lights out a couple of times and to think he turned down a 6 year contract offer at Lazio to join us.
Apparently Thaksin has said £50m will be available in the summer for transfers if he takes over.
I'm betting Pearce won't be the one to spend it.

Got a horrible feeling about Saturdays game, I reckon we'll be lucky to keep it below 5 :crybaby:

Baggins...:wink3:

I can see it now Thaksin Shinawatra hires Khun Sumkunt as new manager:Jumpy:

Bilbobaggins
05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I can see it now Thaksin Shinawatra hires Khun Sumkunt as new manager:Jumpy:

I can see it now, 12 go-go birds strutting their stuff at half time in the centre circle (no props as families present):photo:
Then Winston sponsors the game and we get 12 ladyboys will all their floppy bits bouncing around :crazy:

Anyways I digress, Khun Sumkunt would be better than Pearce......and Dennis Wise :bigfinger

Baggins...:twisted:

mack
05-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Here is some more info (or maybe just more of the same) about Thaksin trying to buy the Manchester City team. Lots of pics here of football, Thaksin with Blair, etc.:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000002812

Updated: [May 3, 2007 ]
FOOTBALL-MAD THAKSIN IN RIVAL BID TO BUY MANCHESTER CITY FC
Thaksin Shinnawattra, who has been living in London since he was ousted from power on Sept 19, 2006, in between travelling around Asia, visiting China, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore, may soon be able to realize his fond dream of owning a major, British Premier League football club.
Thaksin is competing with a rivals American consortium for the ownership of Manchester City football club, “the Blues”. He is currently the forerunner or even “firm favourite” for ownership.

If he does manage to win control of Man City, Mr. Thaksin will join such illustrious names as Malcom Glazer (owner of Manchester United) and ,Mr Thaksin Roman Abramovich, (owner of Chelsea). Both of whom are non-native football club owners.

“The Blues” may not have the kudos or reputation of “the Red Devils”, Man. United as they are known internationally, but nevertheless they are still in the Premiership League. (Incidentally, for you sports fanatics out the Derby game between Man UTD and Man City is on Sat May 5 - kick off 12.45 pm.)

Mr. Thaksin has apparently made an indicative proposal to the board of Manchester City that may possibly lead to an offer being made for the company, according to the London Stock Exchange. An anonymous US consortium has also been made bid for the club, so Mr. Thaksin may have some stiff competition.
This will be Mr Thaksin’s second attempt to buy an English soccer team, he made a bid for Liverpool two years ago. One of the potential benefits for Man. City is the prospect of new players with Mr. haksin’s promise to spend €73.5m to buy new players from next season. He will have to offer a sum somewhere near €146.45m to win control of the club.
Taking the lead: Former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra, seen here meeting Tony Blair, has been given the green light to check City’s accounts)

Mr Thaksin is apparently intending to purchase Man.City purely from his own funds. His financial advisers are privy to the club’s non-disclosed accounts, and he has begun to discuss with the board ways of radically reducing the club’s massive debts of £60m.

Apart from football, Mr. Thaksin’s other major sport’s love is golf, which he has been playing avidly since the 2006 coup, in between travelling Asia. He will be well pleased at a recent coup of a different kind, having just won a unanimous vote to take over the TPGA presidency from former cabinet minister Pongsak Raktapongpisal.

Notes:
Manchester City was formed in 1894 and has spent the last four years in the Premier League. It was English champion in 1937 and 1968 and won the FA Cup four times, the last in 1969. City also won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1970 — its only international silverware.

The club moved into a new 47,500-seat stadium in 2003. The team is currently 13th in the 20-team Premier League.

While leader of Thailand, Thaksin led a 2004 attempt to buy a 30 percent stake in Liverpool. The deal was never finalized, and Liverpool was taken over by American businessmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr. in March.

Manchester United and Aston Villa are also owned by Americans. Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham and Portsmouth are also under foreign ownership.

Fork Handles
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Si is making a bid for Leeds.

He found them in the bargain basement.:death:

penetrator
05-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Not too sure about the proposed new home and away strips.

nosehair
05-04-2007, 01:12 PM
What a crook that Thaksin is....to have him associated with the Premier League is wrong....doesn't that Russian own Chelsea as well, his divorce has got to be the costliest one I have ever heard of....reports I read said it cost him over $1billion US to settle with his ex.

Sampeng
05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Joey barton and all his family are the bigest load of scum to come out of Liverpool. This hard man punched a 12 year boy in Bangkok.
I hope he gets sued to fuck by his latest victim.
I would recomend for him a fast car loads of beer and a great big fucking tree.

Bilbobaggins
05-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Joey barton and all his family are the bigest load of scum to come out of Liverpool. This hard man punched a 12 year boy in Bangkok.
I hope he gets sued to fuck by his latest victim.
I would recomend for him a fast car loads of beer and a great big fucking tree.

hey sampeng, never let the truth get in the way of a good story huh?
Do you know his family? do you know they are ALL bad? Fucking disgusting comments from yourself, you should be ashamed. Misinformation like that leads to bad trouble sometimes.
The kid (and yes he was a kid) was 15.
This kid had been in the same bar/restaraunt as Barton all night and had been abusing him as regards his HALF brother (whom I might add had never lived with Joey) being in jail for the despicable murder of an innocent man. No excuse for hitting the boy, but put yourself in his shoes, what would you do with a few beers inside you?
I'm a City fan, I hope that he never plays for us again, BUT, in his defence, he was right when he told Dabo that he was shite!! :thumbsup:
Sampeng, think before you write shite like that again, or lay off the alcohol before you do.

Baggins...:bigfinger

Bilbobaggins
05-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Not too sure about the proposed new home and away strips.

hey penetrator, I like the burgundy away strip, thats the colour of one of our best ever kits!! :thumbsup:
Not sure about the Blackpool replica tho :bigfinger

Baggins...:boxing:

Bilbobaggins
05-04-2007, 10:15 PM
What a crook that Thaksin is....to have him associated with the Premier League is wrong....doesn't that Russian own Chelsea as well, his divorce has got to be the costliest one I have ever heard of....reports I read said it cost him over $1billion US to settle with his ex.

Nose, it was £150m = $300m
Cheap seeing as he is worth £10bn!!

Baggins...:nopity:

Sampeng
05-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Sampeng, think before you write shite like that again, or lay off the alcohol before you do.
I havnt had anything to drink.
I could go on all night about what a scumbag Barton and family is.
Fucking inbread racist scum.
Now matter how much drink I have cosumed I would not punch a Everton fan who looked about 12 to me just cos of some snide coment.
It wasnt all night so get you facts right.
You might think its Ok to punch kids when your drunk.
Barton is a complete fucking twat.
Time will prove me right.
Shite like him will never change.

Bilbobaggins
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I havnt had anything to drink.
I could go on all night about what a scumbag Barton and family is.
Fucking inbread racist scum.

So you know them personally??? tell me more. or shut up.

Now matter how much drink I have cosumed I would not punch a Everton fan who looked about 12 to me just cos of some snide coment.

Looked about 12?? some snide comment? try 2 hours of abuse, you obviously know fuck all about what happened, a friend of mine was there at the time. I was in a taxi back to Pattaya after the game.

It wasnt all night so get you facts right.

It's you needs to review your information.

You might think its Ok to punch kids when your drunk.

No I don't, but if you got a bellyfull of beer (thats a lot in my case) then it's not so easy to ignore comments about a member of your family that you had nothing to do with. Barton made an appeal for him to give himself up IF YOU REMEMBER.

Barton is a complete fucking twat.

Wow we agree finally.

Time will prove me right.

It already has sampeng.

Shite like him will never change.

I don't care anymore.
But Dabo is still shite :pile:

baggins...:bigfinger

Sampeng
05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/424/ladygh7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bilbobaggins
05-04-2007, 11:11 PM
:Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy:

you got me there fella :notworthy:

Baggins...:w00t:

nosehair
05-05-2007, 03:24 AM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/424/ladygh7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I am pretty sure, although not positive, that this chick was photographed having a beer with another l/b at Hammers Cherry Bar one night last fall, possibly around Christmas time.

I tried to find the photo that Adam posted on Revealed but have been unable to find it.

mack
05-14-2007, 07:44 PM
From the Bangkok Post of May 14th:

Thaksin poised to buy Man City

By BangkokPost.com from reports

The People newspaper reports that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra is "on the verge" of taking over Manchester City Football club for 100 million pounds - 6.8 billion baht.

The People reports that City officials are expecting a positive response from Mr Thaksin this week when his accounts end their due diligence examination of the team's books.

That could lead to a summer takeover by Mr Thaksin. The People said he is "desperate to become a Premiership club owner after failing with a bid to buy Liverpool two years ago."

The Sunday Mirror said that Mr Thaksin was expected to pay 130 million pounds for the club "inside the next 10 days."

If he does take over Man City, the ex-premier coiuld be targetting manager Gerard Houllier.

The Sunday Mirror said Mr Thaksin's plans include an approach to Lyon coach Houllier to replace Stuart Pearce.

"Whether I'm going to be here next season or not is out of my hands. I hope it's me but if it isn't me I'll move on and manage elsewhere," Pearce told reporters last week.

But Pearce looks certain to be sacked following a poor season - and chairman John Wardle may take the decision as early as this week.

That would open the door for Houllier, who is keen on a return to the Premiership after guiding Lyon to two titles in two years.

Houllier has a clause in his deal with the French club allowing him to move back to England.

Many fans hoped Sam Allardyce would be the man Wardle turned to, but he looks destined for Newcastle.

And while he has strong support inside the current City regime, Shinawatra is looking for a big continental name to lead his efforts to revive the fortunes of a club who have now gone 31 years without winning a top trophy, the Sunday Mirror report said.

Bilbobaggins
05-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Pearce has been 'relieved of his duties' as of today.
I for one am glad to see him go but wish him the best in his future.
If Thaksin takes over then I hope against hope we will get a proven manager in, and that he is given a substantial amount of cash to spend reviving this dying club.
I went to Tottenham yesterday and there were loads of empty seats in the City end, I can't remember the last time I saw that in a last game of the season.

Baggins...

mack
05-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Thaksin makes formal bid for Man City

By BangkokPost.com from Agencies

Officials at the Premier League club insist they remain in talks with "a number" of different parties, but Thaksin Shinawatra's lawyer Noppadon Pattama claims the former prime minister has made a formal bid to take over the City of Manchester club.

"What I can say now is we have tendered a bid for the team," Mr Noppadon said.

"The bid was made a few days ago but we still don't know the final outcome of the deal."

Several Thai-language newspapers reported on Saturday that a 100-million pound (7 billion baht or $198 million) deal had already been reached, but Mr Noppadon said this was premature.

"The deal is not formally or legally concluded yet," he said.

Local media have become obsessed over how Mr Thaksin intends to pay for Manchester City if he wins the bid. Any withdrawal from Thailand banks of more than $50 million would require the approval of the central bank.

The wealth of the former premier has been estimated by Forbes magazine and others at around $3 billion, including at least some in the name of his wife and children.

Mr Thaksin on Wednesday told a Thai community radio station that if he went ahead with the football club purchase, it would be for the good of the nation.

"If a Thai person becomes the owner of a European football club, this will raise the profile of Thailand and the Thai football teams," Mr Noppadon said in an interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa.

"It will be good for sports development in Thailand, for instance we might be able to send Thai kids to a football academy in the UK in the future," Mr Noppadon added.

Mr Noppadon added that Mr Thaksin and advisers had to be silent because they had to follow stock regulations in buying a listed company.

The reports said Mr Thaksin would become club chairman and that he wanted to bring former Chelsea coach Claudio Ranieri to replace sacked manager Stuart Pearce.