PDA

View Full Version : Raiders take Russell #1....Brady Quinn drops...NFL draft

mack
04-28-2007, 07:48 PM
It's just a few picks into the draft but here is how it has shaped up so far. Notre Dame's QB Brady Quinn is falling fast after being touted as a #1 pick awhile ago:

Raiders Make LSU Star QB Russell No. 1- By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer- Saturday, April 28, 2007

04-28) 10:59 PDT New York (AP) --

JaMarcus Russell, :rugby: the big-play quarterback from LSU, was the first pick in Saturday's NFL draft as the Oakland Raiders pulled no surprises. The 6-foot-6 junior comes off an impressive season and a superb Sugar Bowl that helped catapult him to the top spot. And with the Raiders coming off a 2-14 year in which they had the league's worst offense, he easily could be the starter on opening day.

"I kind of had faith in it. Everybody had been talking about it for a while," Russell said of being chosen first. "It's a dream come true. Growing up as a kid playing every sport in life and always seeing the guys on the professional level, and here I am today."

Detroit then declined several trade options for the No. 2 overall pick and chose wide receiver Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech, considered the best athlete in this year's crop. It was the fourth time in five years the Lions chose a wideout high in the draft. Only one of the others, Roy Williams, has succeeded in Detroit. Johnson, an All-American junior, is 6-foot-4 and 237 pounds and can run a 4.35 in the 40.

That left Cleveland to select Joe Thomas, the left tackle from Wisconsin who spent the morning fishing back home rather than attend the draft, as the No. 3 pick.

"It didn't surprise me," Thomas said of being taken by the Browns, 4-12 last season. "I hoped for a few months that Cleveland would pick me. They showed a lot of interest in me all the way along."

Tampa Bay then made end Gaines Adams of Clemson the first defensive player chosen. At 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds, he is an inch shorter and three pounds lighter than Russell. The Cardinals used the fifth pick to choose Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown, who should replace Leonard Davis, now with Dallas after leaving Arizona as a free agent.

A second LSU player, safety LaRon Landry, was the next pick, to Washington, where he figures to start next to Sean Taylor in a hard-hitting tandem. Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma was chosen by Minnesota, which apparently was unconcerned by the running back's history of injuries in college.

Still waiting to be chosen was Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, once considered the top prospect in this year's draft.

Oakland will count on Russell to invigorate the Raiders, who scored only 168 points last season.

When Roger Goodell, conducting his first draft as commissioner, announced Russell's name, Raiders fans in the crowd cheered loudly. But there was a mixture of cheers and boos when Russell, who is bigger than some NFL linemen, came on stage to don a Raiders hat and hold up a No. 1 black jersey.

Then came chants of "L-S-U, L-S-U" for the man who soon will be in charge of the Oakland offense.

"I can't wait to get in the black and silver and get to work," Russell said.

Bilbobaggins
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Sorry Mack I haven't got a fkin clue what you are on about, can you re-post that in English? :clap:

Baggins...:jump:

Figjam
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Sorry Mack I haven't got a fkin clue what you are on about, can you re-post that in English? :clap:

It's all right Bill none of us do:Copy of bangin: we let Jimmy Olsen cub reporter think we do and now the cunt won't stop:smilies-33399:

BigBadSi
04-29-2007, 12:10 PM

i think hes referring to American Throwball bilbo:usaflag:

gonzo
04-29-2007, 12:19 PM
i think hes referring to American Throwball bilbo:usaflag:Ah, now I get it, it's that gay version of rugby they play with all the padding on and a break every 5 minutes so the poor lambs don't get all tired out.

BigBadSi
04-29-2007, 12:21 PM
thats the one gonzo,,

Bilbobaggins
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
a.k.a. 'poofs rugby'

Baggins....

nosehair
04-29-2007, 02:32 PM
mack....

Another Raydah first....first pro sports franchise to draft a man by the first name of JaMarcus....as a matter of fact Russell's parents invented the name JaMarcus....and have now trademarked JaMarcus.

I read where they were going to name him Spartacus, but his mom thought that might make him a likely candidate for a cleft in his chin, so they opted for JaMarcus instead.....dancing

mack
04-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey I haven't whined (at least for a long time) when you lot drivel on and on about your kickball and that bastardized version of baseball :fyou: :hiding:

Let's set up a password-protected area for NFL, MLB and NBA on this board nose :usaflag:

BigBadSi
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Mack football and cricket have been around longer than your country

Bilbobaggins
04-29-2007, 10:33 PM

:26_8_11: :26_8_11: :26_8_11: :26_8_11: :26_8_11:

brilliant Si 555555555

Baggins...:Copy of beer:

Figjam
04-30-2007, 02:22 AM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT :starwars:

I'll be here if I'm needed:hiding:

Fork Handles
04-30-2007, 08:41 AM

Their country has been around a long long time.

And one day soon, civilisation may reach it.:weight%20lifting:

BigBadSi
04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Their country has been around a long long time.

And one day soon, civilisation may reach it.:weight%20lifting:

And a Map and a copy of encarta,(there is a world out there):tornado:

irishmic
04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
No NFL team this year drafted a player from West Virginia Penitentiary, (University). Recent alumnus are Adam "Pacman" Jones (suspended for entire 2007-08 season. Chris Henry, suspended, further charges pending. Where have all the good players gone?