PDA

View Full Version : Finnair

gonzo
08-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Anyone flown with these? Short stopovers and one of the cheapest fig class flights I can find in December (only beaten by Ukraine Airways who I'm guessing aren't getting a lot of bookings right now!).

ferocious
08-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Not flown them but heard they are ok and regarded as the short route to Asia , can't be all that bad if BA code with them

monkeyspanker
08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
suprised malaysia arent good value, i was expecting them to drop but they have remained pricey.

BigBadSi
08-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Woodman has flown with them

Sancho
08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
suprised malaysia arent good value, i was expecting them to drop but they have remained pricey.

Malaysian had dropped their pants on rates inter Asia after 370 vanished without trace, im stunned they arent giving tickets away after 17 was shot down.

Press in KL saying the airline which was already loosing billions a year are going to be privatised & restructured, before they go bankrupt!

Keep in mind no airline has survived 2 major Air crashes, theif insurances may not cover the near 800 people's relatives claims for loss of life.... dont book with them unless you have some payment protection, especially if the flight is more than a month away, rumord there will be a state bankruptcy so they can avoid all these claims.

The Western senior management all left after 370, writing on the wall???

monkeyspanker
08-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Malaysian had dropped their pants on rates inter Asia after 370 vanished without trace, im stunned they arent giving tickets away after 17 was shot down.

Press in KL saying the airline which was already loosing billions a year are going to be privatised & restructured, before they go bankrupt!

Keep in mind no airline has survived 2 major Air crashes, theif insurances may not cover the near 800 people's relatives claims for loss of life.... dont book with them unless you have some payment protection, especially if the flight is more than a month away, rumord there will be a state bankruptcy so they can avoid all these claims.

maybe in asia, but searches from the uk arent that good.

i can do Emirates BHX-BKK with short layovers for less.

£520 with a long(8hr) layover

Mirkwood
08-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Finnair average.

I reckon the best deal is on Austrian Air if you can get it. Flown long haul with them twice now. Very good for money.

WankingWodger
08-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Bangladesh Biman was the airline of choice for the pot less sex tourists back in the day, many a Soi Yamato regular had a horror story of 3 or 4 days stuck in Dhaka waiting a connection or a flight delay

Taltos
08-21-2014, 07:18 PM
10 years ago. They were ok and had Thai stewardess. Helsinki was bloody could but nice.

Mirkwood
08-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Regarding Indian airlines.

I would have to be seriously skint and desperate before I ever flew with any airline that had stopover in India. I absolutely detest the airports there.

Fork Handles
08-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Regarding Indian airlines.

I would have to be seriously skint and desperate before I ever flew with any airline that had stopover in India. I absolutely detest the airports there.

According to a thread on PI@Night, there is a new terminal at Delhi. Might even have transit facilities.:detector:
I still wouldn't do it.

Taltos
08-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Went through Mumbai with Jet airways once. Flight to India was great and the one to Los ok. Similar to Iceland-UK.

The wait was only 1.5 hours so ok but agree with Mirkwood, I would not have wanted to stay for a longer time. If the price was right I would even do it again.

monsterman
08-22-2014, 03:33 PM
i recently flew back from norway on Norweigan ,, they had a new dreamliner ,, flight was bloody aweful,, turbulence all the way for 12 hours ,, crap food you have to pay for everything blankets headphones etc etc its like Ryan Air ,, cheap according to my boss though ,, joke is he paid for me to fly business class but they only have economy so he was ripped off . should have put me on KLM .

gonzo
08-22-2014, 04:10 PM
should have put me on KLM .

I'd rather take a bus than fly KLM, business class (which sucks on KLM) or not.

Frankie
08-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Anyone flown with these? Short stopovers and one of the cheapest fig class flights I can find in December (only beaten by Ukraine Airways who I'm guessing aren't getting a lot of bookings right now!).

I am flying China Airlines Biz to LOS outbound 27/12/2014. Paying £1590 (can remember when it was £899:crybaby:).

If you dont mind G, what are Finnair's Biz fares? Assuming "fig" is not Economy.

gonzo
08-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I am flying China Airlines Biz to LOS outbound 27/12/2014. Paying £1590 (can remember when it was £899:crybaby:).

If you dont mind G, what are Finnair's Biz fares? Assuming "fig" is not Economy.

They're not that much cheaper - £1568 - but they do have a refurbished business class service with a proper flat bed.

Frankie
08-23-2014, 11:58 PM
They're not that much cheaper - £1568 - but they do have a refurbished business class service with a proper flat bed.

Thanks for that. Think I may have to make some more research rather than just staying with the same airline.

gonzo
08-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Found a review of the Helsinki-BKK leg.....

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/5/7/11047/83045/travel/Flight+Review%3A+Helsinki+to+Bangkok+in+Finnair%92 s+New+Business+Class+(Part+1)

woodman2
08-24-2014, 11:49 AM
I did Economy with Finnair a few years back. No dramas. Left on time both legs and kept to schedule. Newish A330s or A340s. Very Scandinavian passenger list so people were polite and respectful. No Arabs or Indians.

Legroom was OK. Food passable. Stingy with the booze but got a couple of beers out of them. Never used the AVOD.

The plane interior, uniforms and branding is all pale greens, blue and greys. Very cold looking as if that matters. But that was my over ridding impression of Finnair. Cold.

Vaarta is tiny by international standard but also very grey and austere. Not much in the way of facilities. But I noticed it had a massive sauna and a stall selling rear fur hats. When we arrived from Manchester we deplaned outside the terminal and had to walk in. Only 5 minutes but not what you want in December. The banks of snow they had cleared were higher than the planes tail. They do brag that in the last 25 years or something they have only had to shut the runway once because of snow. And that was only for 30 minutes.

The only thing that puts me off using them again is that the stopover is only 55 minutes 1 way and 70 minutes the other connecting from Manchester. Doable with Vaarta being the size it is but what if it goes shitty through no fault of the Finns. I don't fancy being stuck in Helsinki for any length of time seeing as how it is hellish expensive.

roamer
08-25-2014, 03:22 AM
Found a review of the Helsinki-BKK leg.....

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/5/7/11047/83045/travel/Flight+Review%3A+Helsinki+to+Bangkok+in+Finnair%92 s+New+Business+Class+(Part+1)

Does look nice.

I looked very briefly at the Finnair site and juggling dates next year, from May thru to August, found 1750, that Ex BKK which is almost always more expensive to fly from. ( Ex LON same price as your quote )

200 % mileage accrual which might actually get a free inter Europe flight.

Interesting, Thanks.

james100
08-26-2014, 04:37 AM
I flew Finnair in March this year.I was flicking through bizzclass.com looking for a cheap deal and Finnair came up with the cheapest price for the dates I wanted. 850pounds one way. Bangkok/Helsinki/London/Aberdeen.

monkeyspanker
08-29-2014, 04:36 AM

looks like your right and this is the start.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28963443

Malaysia Airlines has warned of further losses in the second half of the year because of the two tragedies to hit the airline in recent months.

In a statement it said it had seen "a sharp decline" in weekly bookings.

It comes as the airline reported a second quarter net loss of 307m Malaysian ringgit ($97.4m; £58.7m) for the three months to June.

The airline has been affected by the crash of flight MH17 in Ukraine and the disappearance of flight MH370.

"We expected the impact of MH370 on the performance in Quarter 2," said chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.

"Given that, our team put in much hard work and effort to regain market confidence and rebuild sales. Tragically, just as we were beginning to see signs of recovery in all regions, we were dealt the blow of MH17.

"The full financial impact of the double tragedies of MH370 and MH17 is expected to hit Malaysia Airlines in the second half of the year," he added.

Average weekly bookings declined 33%, with numerous flight cancellations immediately after the MH17 incident, the company said.

Flight MH370 disappeared on 8 March on its way to Beijing with 239 people on board while MH17 was shot down in Ukraine on 17 July killing all 298 passengers on board. It is unclear who is responsible for the latter incident.

Fork Handles
08-29-2014, 07:23 AM
FWIW, I flew with MA back in 2005. It was horrible, but mostly because the flight was 100% full, cattle class full of taxi drivers.
I made sure to order lots of drinks, and a meat based meal, that had to be passed across the muslim coont next to me.

Uncle Sam
09-09-2014, 11:38 PM
For what it is worth, Etihad have a 10% discount off at the moment

enter the Etihad discount code GRIP002 when prompted.

Also 2% cashback

http://euflyer.boardingarea.com/2014/08/15/etihad-discount-code-10-september-flights/#more-1601