PDA

View Full Version : Sending money !

soi 2
10-05-2010, 01:41 AM
I was toying with the idea of sending a girl some money for her birthday. :slots: :party2: I'm not looking for advice as to whether thats a good use of money. :stupid: Just wondering what the cheapest way of sending cash to a Thai national is. Some of you guys might have more experience in these matters than me.

I had a look at Western Union, using 5000 baht as figure to see what costs were involved.

Send Amount (GBP):
Money Transfer Fees:
Total:

Just thinking in terms of Thai baht, its going to cost me nearly 1000 baht to send 5000 baht. Doesn't seem very good value. Is there a better way to send money ?

I had an idea, if I know someone from the UK who is in Thailand. If I paid into their UK account using my internet banking. Could they withdraw the money and go to any branch of the bank she uses. Say they know her name, account number and sort code and pay it in. That way the only charge would be a 150 baht withdrawl fee from the bank ATM they use. That sounds fairly straight forward to me. Am I missing something here or would that work ? :musicband:

tommiecoughlin
10-05-2010, 03:16 AM
what about sending it to a m8 in the UK who is going over soon....like Winton?:detective:....he's trustworthy... and you know he'd get it to the correct party:thumbsup:...

...might only cost you a New Plaza 40b beer for his services.

KeeNeow
10-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Try http://www.xe.com/fx/ or also could use paypal if she sets up an account.
I have an UK Bank Account and a Thai account and could avoid the 150 baht charge if you want to do it through me.

gonzo
10-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I was looking into this the other day to send some money to the Mrs for the visa. Western Union is pricey but it's still a better bet than doing an international transfer from a UK bank if you're only looking to send a small amount as otherwise you'll be hit with a £20 charge at each end. If you're looking to send a few hundred though the bank works out cheapest.

ROLAND
10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I think someone has stolen Soi 2's log in

bigone
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
send me the money and ill take it over to her soon

kuranda_bagman
10-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Some of you guys might have more experience in these matters than me.

Bazzap would be the expert here Gary :haha:

soi 2
10-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and comments. A few ideas to mull over.

what about sending it to a m8 in the UK who is going over soon....like Winton?:detective:....he's trustworthy... and you know he'd get it to the correct party:thumbsup:...

...might only cost you a New Plaza 40b beer for his services.

Something to think about. I'm sure Winston would but I'll try not to inconvenience other people though.

Try http://www.xe.com/fx/ or also could use paypal if she sets up an account.
I have an UK Bank Account and a Thai account and could avoid the 150 baht charge if you want to do it through me.

Good idea Tom. I reckon for the small amount I'm talking about paypal seems a winner. Had a look at paypal's terms and conditions today. Seems to be cheaper than Western Union. I'll see if settting up a paypal account is within her abilities. Assuming she doesn't already have one...

:rich: :gimme: :rich:

Thanks very much for the offer of doing it through you. I might take you up on that. Ideally I'd just like to send it to her directly so as not to inconvenience anyone. :cheers:

I was looking into this the other day to send some money to the Mrs for the visa. Western Union is pricey but it's still a better bet than doing an international transfer from a UK bank if you're only looking to send a small amount as otherwise you'll be hit with a £20 charge at each end. If you're looking to send a few hundred though the bank works out cheapest.

I've been having a read up today and it made me think about next years trip. I reckon once I've set up a Thai bank account I'll transfer my holiday spending money via the bank to save on endless 150 baht ATM charges. Definetly seems the way to do it with bigger amounts.

I think someone has stolen Soi 2's log in

Got to look after the good ones. dancing

send me the money and ill take it over to her soon

Thanks for the offer. My first choice will be to go down the paypal route and take it from there.

KeeNeow
10-05-2010, 10:10 PM
No problem for me Gary particularly as I probably know the lady in question if you want to send her money. But definitely open an account at Kasikorn next trip and save all of the ATM charges if you transfer a decent amount of money ie more than 4000 pounds then the transfer fees are miniscule compared with paying 150 baht ATM fees. You can still go inside the bank and get a cash advance on your CC for no money though. Tell them that you do not know the PIN code though otherwise they will want you to do it through the ATM as they make more money though.

soi 2
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I really did mean to open an account this year. Especially after you ran through what steps were involved. Oh well.. always next year.

I'll probably come back with a few more questions nearer the time about pointers for transfering money bank-to-bank. It's not something I've done before. Interesting to know about the CC cash advances.

Its such a shame the Nationwide messed up their flex accounts for use abroad. That combined with the 150 Thai bank charges. Has made it essential to have a Thai bank account if you're there for any period of time these days.

:cheers:

soi 2
10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Bazzap would be the expert here Gary :haha:

This is my first foray into the world of sending money and its a one off. :whistling:

ROLAND
10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
This is my first foray into the world of sending money and its a one off. :whistling:

That's what they all say

soi 2
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Update...

Going to get someone to pay into her account.

So far I have the name of the bank she uses. Card number or account number and obviously her name.

Is this enough information for a cash deposit ? Do I need the address of the bank she opened the account at as well ?

:cheers:

soi 2
10-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Well apparently that is all the information required.

soi 2
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Figjam, I started a thread on talk and the advice there was that if you have a Thai bank account and you are in Thailand. You can make a deposit at an ATM. Selecting the persons bank and entering the long card/ account number is all that's required.

I had a brief chat with Mirkwood yesterday and he confirmed this. I had heard you might need the banks address from someone else so thought I'd look into it. Thanks very much for asking Tan. I'll find out today exactly what is needed. :cheers:

woodman2
10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
From a UK bank to a Thai bank.

You need the recipients name and address.

The full name and address of the branch where the account is held.

The recipients account number.

The recipients bank SWIFT/BIC (Bank Identifier Code) Readily available on-line.

Amount to be sent.

Currency the payment will be sent in.

My bank (A&L/Santander) charge £16 and it takes 3 full working days.

gonzo
10-13-2010, 06:01 PM

There's also a charge from the Thai bank (about the same amount, was £15 when I did it a few weeks back) which you can either pick up yourself or the recipient has to pay it.

ROLAND
10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Save yourself the fucking hassle and spend it on yourself dancing

gkp
10-13-2010, 07:37 PM

The Brighton poof is right..unless a Thai bird is :bj: she anit getting another Baht out of me !!!
Not that im bitter or anything :clayshoot:

soi 2
10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
From a UK bank to a Thai bank.

You need the recipients name and address.

The full name and address of the branch where the account is held.

The recipients account number.

The recipients bank SWIFT/BIC (Bank Identifier Code) Readily available on-line.

Amount to be sent.

Currency the payment will be sent in.

Cool thats handy to know. I'll need to set up a Thai a/c next trip. Just to clarify in this instance -

I sent money to someone I know in Pattaya. My UK account to their UK account - free. They withdrew it from the ATM - 150 baht cost. Then deposited it as cash at a branch of her bank. Job done. :thumbsup:

soi 2
10-13-2010, 09:20 PM

The Brighton poof is right..unless a Thai bird is :bj: she anit getting another Baht out of me !!!
Not that im bitter or anything :clayshoot:

As the Thais say.. tum dee dai dee. Do good get good. Wee present for a good performer from this year.

Said hello on the phone today and it was almost worth it just to hear her sounding so excited :madcunt: she spoke for about 15 minutes solid. I couldn't get a word in. Lucky if I understood a quarter of it.