PDA

View Full Version : Last nights boxing

penetrator
03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Was wondering what our 2 resident Scouse boxing aficionados Ferocious and The Bomb thought of last nights fight between Derry Mathews and John Simpson.

Must admit I'd never heard of Mathews but seems he's a bit of a name up in Scouserland. Judging by last nights performance I cant see him taking the world by storm, he seems very undisciplined and at times looked scared against the Sweaty Simpson. The scoring of the fight was atrocious I thought as I had it about even or at most 1 round in favour of either fighter including the 2 points Mathews was deducted.

At 5'9 he is very tall for a featherweight and would probably move up in weight a bit but that would put him in Manny Paquiao division and to be honest I think he'd utterly destroy him.

ferocious
03-11-2007, 12:11 PM
i've never took too much notice of derry mathews but i'd put him on european level not world.. i thought he won last night by the odd round not the 6 & 7 given by the judges , simpson fought a good fight & not sure how much that cut hampered him in the latter rounds or maybe he ran out of gas... mathews will be plesed with the descision but not the performance & should offer simpson a re-match

Thebomb
03-11-2007, 12:25 PM
mathews was a very good amateuer and world rated but his style is exactly that....and wont do much more as a pro,i thought simpson had nicked it....but thats home advantage for ya....politics more than correct scoring

roamer
03-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I saw that fight last night and was surprised at the winning points margin. I coudn`t tell who was going to win.

ROLAND
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I thought dodgy scoring in the first title fight too with Warrens fighter getting the benefit of a draw.

Thebomb
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
totaly agree R. kept his title too when the other fighter forced the fight all the way,was close though but thought kotelink nicked it...