PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About This

hawk3164
09-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Recently I was web browsing and I came across this reply by a member on another bulletin board. What I would like to know is:
What is the form # that this person is discussing in his reply. I am only interested in getting the form # so I may determine if this is the way to go. thanks

I had read through all the posts and searched the Thai Visa site looking for all the information on Retirement Visa information but it wasn't till I came here that I got the low down and thought I would share.
I was talking to a retired American and I was saying I was prepared to put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and apply for a retirement Visa. Turns out Americans don't have to do that. All an American over 55 has to do is to go to the American Embassy and fill out a form saying you have income coming in monthly of over a certain amount. (I can't remember what it is.) I put $2,700. You just fill out the form and pay $30 to have it notarized by the embassy. You don't have to prove anything. The person just asks, is this true? I say, yes and I now took that form to the Thai immigration office and asked for a one year retirement Visa. Payed them 2000 baht to re-up my Tourist Visa and 3900 baht for a multiple entry retirement Visa and I'm now good for 15 months before I have to do anything else except report every 90 days.

I believe that this is a special relationship only with the American government that allows for this waiver of the 800,000 in a Thai bank requirement or any proof of income. No criminal background check, no health requirements. It was all very easy.

The Thai Visa requirements are confusing. When you sit around with a bunch of people here, it can turn out 10 people have 10 different kinds of Visas. Anyway, that's how it worked out for me. Piece of cake, once you know.
Would like someone to fill in the blanks if there are any. As he pointed out.. "ask 10 people get 10 different answers"

tom
09-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Recently I was web browsing and I came across this reply by a member on another bulletin board. What I would like to know is:
What is the form # that this person is discussing in his reply. I am only interested in getting the form # so I may determine if this is the way to go. thanks

Would like someone to fill in the blanks if there are any. As he pointed out.. "ask 10 people get 10 different answers"

It's not an American thing. The requirement is to have 800k on deposit in a Thai bank, or as income - or, a combination of the two. The income part is certified by your own embassy. You simply take along your annual pension notification to the embassy and they produce the required letter for immigration. It's useful if you don't want a 800k chunk of your cash tied up in a Thai bank.

You need to understand the difference between obtaining the visa prior to entering Thailand, or having another visa converted once you are here (which is what the poster done). Immigration can convert a visa, or extend your stay - they don't issue visas per se.

Capt Magoo
09-14-2009, 08:29 AM

I had read through all the posts and searched the Thai Visa site looking for all the information on Retirement Visa information but it wasn't till I came here that I got the low down and thought I would share.
I was talking to a retired American and I was saying I was prepared to put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and apply for a retirement Visa. Turns out Americans don't have to do that. All an American over 55 has to do is to go to the American Embassy and fill out a form saying you have income coming in monthly of over a certain amount. (I can't remember what it is.) I put $2,700. You just fill out the form and pay $30 to have it notarized by the embassy. You don't have to prove anything. The person just asks, is this true? I say, yes and I now took that form to the Thai immigration office and asked for a one year retirement Visa. Payed them 2000 baht to re-up my Tourist Visa and 3900 baht for a multiple entry retirement Visa and I'm now good for 15 months before I have to do anything else except report every 90 days.

I believe that this is a special relationship only with the American government that allows for this waiver of the 800,000 in a Thai bank requirement or any proof of income. No criminal background check, no health requirements. It was all very easy.

The Thai Visa requirements are confusing. When you sit around with a bunch of people here, it can turn out 10 people have 10 different kinds of Visas. Anyway, that's how it worked out for me. Piece of cake, once you know.

DJ..........

I beleeb the form you are looking for is called a TM 7. It is basically a request to extend your stay in the Kingdom for a valid reason i.e. Retirement.

To the best of my knowledge the current requirement is still having to show 65,000 baht per month of funds available from a combination of pension or balance in a Thai bank account. If you do not show a source of pension when you apply, you must have 800,000 in a savings account 90 days prior to applying for your initial retirement visa(only 60 days for subsequent retirement visa applications). The 90 days for funds having to be in a Thai bank is waived is you show any portion of the 65,000 coming from a pension source.

There is nothing unique to being American to have the waiver of money in a Thai bank if you can show the required income from a pension source or you choosing( or fantasy in some cases).

I can also verify that you can go to the US Embassy on Wireless Rd in Bangkok, fill out a form stating you have a source of pension income(they do not check or verify the source), they will sign and stamp it and viola......... there ya go!!! Also the statement of having to be 55 might be eroneous..... I beleeb you only need to be 50 to be eligible for the retirement visa(or atleast it worked for me that way!)

I am sure there are numerous ways to obtain a retirement visa and every board you check will probably have a different story to tell you. I can only tell you my story and how I obtained my retirement visa while living here on a dual entry 60 day tourist visa obtained on a trip to Laos. I never had to leave the Kingdom and had my tourist visa converted to a non-immigrant O visa without any hassle at all. I do question the ability to extend a 1 year retirement visa for an additional 30 days........... not sure that can be done, but I could very well be wrong.

I think there is alot of undue stress regarding the issue......... but that being said, some of it might be justified because just as we Farlang understand the rules......... the Thais have a way of changing the rules.

Feel free to ask away...... am sure many folks here will be happy to give you their experiences in dealing with visas.

AND................ We are still waiting for your trip report thru a Pattaya-Virgins eyes!!!

Remember in Pattaya you are Elvis and you are the King!!!!

torrenova
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM
The age of 55 used to be the Thai retirement visa age. This was dispensed with some years ago for the age of 50.

The rule changes in October 2008 changed a couple of points and removed the age of 50 from some visa categories but not for this one.

Bilbobaggins
10-02-2009, 10:49 PM
fucking hell, you ARE alive :laughing: