PDA

View Full Version : Old Hard Drive

Jake
08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
First of all, an admission. I am as thick as pig shit when it comes to computers.
A few months ago my pc died and I bought a new one, nothing special just something to allow me on here and a few other things. A neighbour fitted it for me and left my old hard drive connected but could not figure out how to get access to it.
Since then my daughter has bought me an iPod for my birthday and I want to get access to the old hard drive which has on it about 2,000 songs many of which I am unable to replace.
Any simple suggestions for a simple bugger ?

Thanks

Jake

Sir-Fondles
08-26-2009, 01:20 AM
A neighbour fitted it for me and left my old hard drive connected but could not figure out how to get access to it.

please elborate on "left connected", Is it connected to the motherboard and power supply ??

Go to the start menu, right click on my computer, click on manage then click on storage then disk management.

Tell me/us how many HDD's are listed.

Bigleg
08-26-2009, 03:46 AM
As fondles has said, more info req. will be happy to help but need more info as a little ambiguous ATM

Jake
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks very much.
Yes, it is connected to motherboard and electricity supply.
I think 3 HDDs
Acer (C:)
MVRESCUE (F:)
LOCAL DISK ( G:)
There is also what appears to be an empty one
DATA (D:) 292 GB free of 293 GB

mack
08-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Can't help you Jake but jonny will answer you around next February. :cheers:

Sir-Fondles
08-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks very much.
Yes, it is connected to motherboard and electricity supply.
I think 3 HDDs
Acer (C:)
MVRESCUE (F:)
LOCAL DISK ( G:)
There is also what appears to be an empty one
DATA (D:) 292 GB free of 293 GB

Still not really enough info, which HDD is the one you have an issue with ??

What is "MVRESCUE (F:)" im assuming this is the optical drive and MVRESCUE is some kind of disc, google tells me it may be Multivision Computers back up/restore program.

Also this, "There is also what appears to be an empty one" does the machine have 4 physical HDDS or is the primary partitioned ??

Are you able to do this "Go to the start menu, right click on my computer, click on manage then click on storage then disk management" and tells us the results, even better would be a screen shot.

To be honest, the easiest solution would be to grab an external HDD caddy from Tukom for about 500b, pull the HDD in question from your PC and install into caddy, plug into PC via USB and voila, any files you want off the HDD should be readily accessible.

Bigleg
08-28-2009, 04:15 AM
^ or could be a recovery partition from a previous install?

All I can suggest is browse the HDD and try to manually find the folders your looking for. Sorry but very hard to advise with being able to get my hands on your computer

Taltos
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Left click Start, go to Search, go to Picture,music or video, go to music and hack next to it and click on search. Then you should find out on what Hdd your music is on and what folder.

I would guess that it is on G. I asume that this is an Acer PC and therefore C, D and F are all one single hdd. F is the same on all other Acer PC with the same spec. If I am right you should only see 2 hdd when you open the side of the PC.

If you click on G and can not get into it, what message do you get?